Wellington, Mar. 15 (Notimex).- The number of victims of the firearms attacks occurred this Friday against two mosques in the city of Christchurch, in the South Island of New Zealand, is at least 49 dead and 41 injured in an unprecedented "terrorist attack" in the country.
The mosques attacked are those of Al Nur, the most important in Christchurch, where 41 people are reported dead, and that of the suburb of Linwood, where seven other people died. Another victim died in the hospital, confirmed the head of the New Zealand Police, Mike Bush.
The Prime Minister of New Zealand, Jacinda Ardern, described what happened as a "terrorist attack" and an "unprecedented" act in the country. "It's one of the blackest days in New Zealand," said Ardern.
"This kind of violence does not make any sense in New Zealand, this is not what we are," he said in a live appearance from Wellington, where he confirmed the arrest of three men and one woman.
The prime minister affirmed that the four detainees are being interrogated by the police, while specifying that the suspects were not registered and were "off the radar" of the intelligence services.
One of the shootings against the mosques in Christchurch was broadcast live through social networks by one of the assailants, who appears in military clothes inside the cult center firing at point-blank range several people with an automatic weapon of which he changed the Charger at least twice.
The assailant identified himself as Brenton Tarrant, 28, originally from Australia, and was the one who broadcast the killing live on Facebook Live through a GoPro camera.
The shooting at the Al Nur mosque was broadcast live for 17 minutes by the gunman, according to a New Zealand Herald dispatch.
Tarrant, linked to extreme right groups that defend white supremacism, has published a manifesto in which he expresses his will to end the lives of all immigrants.
Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison confirmed that a detainee was a citizen born in Australia. He called him "an extremist, violent rightist terrorist."
Sky News reported that the hometown of the Grafton man was in shock, trying to come to understand how an "educated young man" came to find himself on a road that led to Christchurch.
Police Commissioner Mike Bush said a man, 28, had been charged with murder and must appear in Christchurch District Court tomorrow morning, the New Zealand Herald reported.
The security forces have ordered the closure of all New Zealand mosques for security, while the Chrischurch public schools and buildings on the South Island are also closed.
The New Zealand authorities raised the alert to the highest level and recommended to the inhabitants of the areas where the attacks have occurred to remain in their homes.
The New Zealand police seized two explosive devices and several firearms in the vehicle of one of the detainees.